Here are some things that I love about this Maui Modern Wedding Inspiration Shoot:
1. The designer is rad. First time I went to her house I saw and fell in love with her pantry. It’s like, 3 stories high. It has a ladder. It’s like the rabbit hole in Alice in Wonderland. She’s an artist, and when I saw her signature piece, I was like… why don’t we hang out more? Black, white and blue. Modern and geometric. My favorite colors in a modern display. If ever artists were meant for each other.
2. The dress is rad. So she took her signature pattern and had Blayne Walsh, a good friend of hers and one of the designers from Project Runway Season 5, make it into this BAD ASS DRESS. She posted a photo of the dress on Facebook like 6 months ago and I immediately messaged her and was like I HAVE TO SHOOT THAT DRESS. I can’t wait to meet the bride who wears this dress for her wedding for reals. Because she will, obviously, also be rad.
3. It’s on the cheap. So, it just so happens that this summer was kind of a summer off for me. Which was great because I had lots of time for DIY. But it was rough because I had like… no money to throw into this. It was like that weekend, years and years ago when I still lived on the east coast, when my hubby and I were totally broke and yet decided we needed a weekend getaway to the Cape. We were literally searching under the seats of the car for change enough to park at the beach and get gas. We laughed so much. The fact that we had no money MADE that weekend. So that’s the attitude I had when approaching this shoot. I gave myself a budget of $200 and then used all stuff that I already had at my house. Which was easy because black, white and blue are my favorite colors.
4. This was for me – it is so hard for me not to get caught up in what other photographers are doing. Especially when like, everyone and their brother is a photographer anymore. I see so many friends and colleagues getting published and doing amazing things and it can be hard to not get caught up in where you think you should be in your career. So this shoot was about just doing a shoot that I would love, that I would be proud of and that I didn’t care what anyone else thought. My colors, my ideas, an amazing dress that I love and that’s that. And honestly, I can not tell you how awesome it was to just shoot without having to worry about who to impress or what expectation there might be. I just… had fun.
5. It’s 75% film – I second shot for my pal Wendy of Wendy Laurel Photography a few months ago and man did it inspire me to play more with film (she shoots ONLY film). I got my first successful sun flare with film during this shoot and 95% of them were exposed properly… wooohooooo!!
Big shout outs to all the people who participated in this Maui Modern Wedding Inspiration shoot:
Dress Fabric | Printed Table Linens | Surfboard: Bakshi Yudis Maui
Dress Design: Richard Blayne Walsh
Hair and Makeup: Dusty James Bolyard
Custom Jewelry: Jen Aly Designs
Sequin Table Runner and Pillow: Fantasy Vintage Bridal on Etsy
Glassware and Table Settings: Set Maui
Film Processing: Photo Impact Imaging